THE SECOND ROW
Begin experimenting with stroke rate and power. Stroke rate is your cadence in strokes per minute. It is displayed in the upper right corner of the Performance Monitor. Power is how hard you are pulling. It is displayed in a choice of units in the central display area : watts, calories, or pace. Try some 3 minute intervals of rowing, varying stroke rate and pace, as described below.
- 3 min at 20 spm, comfortable effort; 1 min rest
- 3 min at 22 spm, harder effort; 1 min rest
- 3 min at 24 spm comfortable; 1 min rest
- 3 min at 24 spm, harder, 3 min rest.
- End with 10 minutes of steady state rowing at whatever spm and power are comfortable.
Be sure to note the power and spm you settle on – you will use it next workout.